Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I arrived at Production Services Network (PSN) for work today at 8:30. My workspace is in the Process Engineering department so I am surrounded by P&IDs (process and instrumentation drawings) and CAD drawings while I work on my health and safety projects and complete documents for the electrical department. During the first week of my internship I was barely ever at my desk. I have spent 4 hours with each department at PSN. I got the chance to see what goes on in oil and gas project planning, piping, process engineering, electrical engineering, and pretty much every other type of engineering out there.

This morning I submitted my latest electrical project, a spreadsheet of data that is making documentation for a new project much more efficient. Today I also worked on my health and safety projects. I received feedback on my first project, a PowerPoint presentation about proper office ergonomics that has been sent out to the entire office. I am in the process of implementing my second project, educating the office on the H1N1 virus and how to stay safe during the upcoming flu season. My third project is a presentation for offshore workers about the importance of updating their health status to prevent re-injury.

Health and safety has made up a big part of my internship so far and it has opened my eyes and allowed me to learn about so many different aspects of oil and gas through my research. I’m so thankful for all the staff that have taught me and helped me at PSN and in addition to everything I’ve learned, I’m also becoming very skilled at using Microsoft Office!

Erin Langor
Hometown: St. John’s, NL