Monday, August 24, 2009

As I made my way downtown to the waterfront, it was unbelievable to think I was about to start my last Monday morning at Hatch Associates Ltd. My first few days on the job involved learning how to use engineering software such as AutoCad and Inventor Pro. After that, the assignment became interesting and challenging as I progressed into modeling and performing FEA stress analyses on specific devices.

Today, I spent my time developing my final report on my analyses and conclusions regarding part reliability and stress yield. Between hours of typing away and comparing data results, my colleague and I walked over to Gastown for a well anticipated lunch break where we chatted up a storm!

Despite focusing on one of Hatch’s Renewable Energy projects, I also got a taste of other industries through lunchtime presentations, KEG (Keeping Education Going) conferences, and opportunities to chat with Hatch employees, whether in the coffee room or at organized networking sessions. The large scale projects at Hatch have re-opened my eyes to what people are able to create when working as a team, piecing different disciplines together to work towards a common masterpiece.

Anna Zhuo
Hometown: Vancouver, BC