Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ding! An alert popped up on my company laptop from Outlook. I walked down the office hallway and slowed to a stop to face the impersonal stares of Neo, Trinity and Morpheus, nonchalant and looking cooler than ever. Let me explain myself. My company, Redknee Inc., names its meeting rooms after movies and decorates its doors accordingly with large posters. This morning, I had a chance to sit in and observe a senior meeting between various managers within Redknee Inc. It was very fascinating to see the dynamics of a high-level corporate meeting and the measures put in place in the pursuit of meeting efficiency.

After this, I worked on designing an internal information sharing feature to gather all the documentation for a product into one convenient location for all Redknee employees. Using my increasing familiarity with the company due to previous assignments, and the basic HTML I’ve learned in the past week, I’ve been building a representative prototype on the current company portal. I met with a developer to finalize the details for Thursday when I will shadow him for the day. He was knowledgeable, friendly, and eager to teach; this shone through in an extensive and interesting lecture he gave me about how the developer fits in with the product lifecycle and the company as a whole. For the rest of the day, I’ve been reading up on the appropriate feature design documents to prepare for my shadowing.

I’ve learned a lot about how a company functions and what it is like to work in such an environment. I’m thoroughly and sincerely grateful to have earned an internship at such an innovative and progressive company like Redknee.

Peter Cui
Hometown: Toronto, ON