Thursday, September 3, 2009

Today was my second last day at Christie Digital Systems, a company that builds projectors. I do not have a specific job description per say, but rather I am assigned to help anywhere needed. What I liked most was how much freedom I was allowed. My supervisor would say: “Here is the problem...” and give me a brief description on a real, serious problem that the company is facing and then I would research, design, implement and write a short report on the solution/test I had prepared to solve this problem.

I was never limited to time, budget or other constraints and could do whatever I wanted as long as it was justifiable. I have worked with gigantic thermal chambers for a battery cold test I had designed, to evaluating and solving thermal and airflow issues on $1 500 printed circuit boards, down to solving how to make $1.50 temperature sensors more robust.

I have worked with almost every aspect of engineering and this job has showed me what each has to offer. Christie has allowed me to expand on my creativity and problem solving skills in a real world setting and gave me significant hands-on experience.

Filip Rangelov
Hometown: Waterloo, ON