Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ring! Ring! Ring! Boom! My alarm wakes me for a fantastic day at work. Off I go to Fredericton downtown, feeling grown up and very businesslike when I walk into that big shiny building with "NB Power" on the outside.

NB Power, my employer for my internship, provides electrical power to most of New Brunswick. My co-workers are cool designer guys who stand out in a workplace environment. Instead of a quiet office where all you hear is complete silence, with keyboard tapping, our office has a different feel, and we always have music, use balance balls as chairs, and we joke around while ensuring we complete all our design projects on time. I am loving this job and am hoping I will be able to work here again in the future as a Shad alumni. I've learned so much about design tools on a Mac, and indeed I am a much better Photoshop designer than I used to be. I’m proud of the Photoshop designs I have created, the poster layouts that I have done, and the other work I have completed.

Although the team is professional, dedicated and productive, they know how to have fun. At lunch we often do crazy and different things, because as the saying goes "try something new every day". Today was "Skateboardin' Day" for the crew. After a hard morning’s work, we had a skateboard photo shoot at lunch break - we headed to a skate park and got loads of wicked pictures. When we got back we edited a few and made the best skate photo out of all our wipe outs.

This was a very memorable work experience, because of the fantastic and talented people I work with. I learned many things from these great people in a span of only four weeks, which is incredible. I hate saying goodbye to my job and my co-workers on Friday, and I’m a bit dismayed that I have to leave and go back to another long school year. I hope to have a chance to work with them again in the future.

Jeffrey Wo
Hometown: Hanwell, NB