Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My internship is at Sierra Wireless, an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of wireless networking modules. I started the day by working on a project document with a fellow Shad intern, Zamyla. After a brief research period, we began appending the information to the comprehensive project document that encompassed the work we had done so far. Our project goal was to plan the development of a new testing procedure.

Shortly afterward, my colleague and I were invited to sit in on a conference call between Sierra Wireless and one of its clients. We observed as our project manager handled the various product issue concerns the client was experiencing. The experience allowed us to observe the different stages of work that contribute to the release of a single module into the market. It seems that every time we are exposed to a new experience, we see the project in a new light, allowing us to further refine our project documentation.

While work on the project document was challenging at times, I’ve learned a lot about product development workflows and the strong need for extensive planning in any project. I’m extremely grateful for the kindness and friendliness of everyone during my internship.

Jared Ng
Hometown: Port Moody, BC